FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 19, 2021
VIP REGISTRATION FOR EARLY BIDDING OPENS ON JANUARY 21, 2021
PROGRAMMING EXPANDED TO INCLUDE WEEK OF FESTIVITIES: FEBRUARY 6-14, 2021
SILENT AUCTION INCLUDES MORE THAN 425 AUCTION LOTS
TUNE-IN TO THE GALA PROGRAM ONLINE AT WWW.CFFNM.ORG ON FEBRUARY 11TH AT 6PM (MST)
PROGRAM INCLUDES: PATIENT AND PROVIDER STORIES, CELEBRITY APPEARANCES AND PERFORMANCES, HONORARY AND MEMORIAL TRIBUTES, AND PADDLE-RAISER
Santa Fe, N.M. – the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico Board of Directors today announced plans for the 16th Annual Sweetheart Auction. The event, which traditionally takes place at the Santa Fe Community Convention Center on one night in February, has evolved into a week-long virtual celebration accessed through the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico website. (Please see the full event schedule for the festivities between February 6 and February 14, 2021 attached.)
The virtual format expands the audience from an essentially local event to a world-wide happening. Participation is open to all who can log onto a computer. VIP Registration opens on January 21, 2021 at 6am (MST). For a cost of a $100 admission fee, VIPs will have exclusive advance bidding and buy-it-now options for 48 hours beginning on February 6, 2021 at 6am (MST). On February 8, 2021 at 6am (MST), the General Public may register free of charge to join the auction bidding. VIP access continues along with the General Public access through February 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (MST), when the auction will officially close.
Thanks to the generosity of businesses and individuals who have contributed items and services to the 16th Annual Sweetheart Auction, more than 425 auction lots will be available for purchase. A wide-range of price points exist: $45,000 to $15. (Please see the attached sampling of items available.)
There are 13 amazing group bidding opportunities this year for experiences that involve multiple participants. Potential bidders are encouraged to register as a VIP (beginning on January 21st) to preview these group events, gather up friends, and bid together. One designated bidder will bid on the group’s behalf online. A special group bidding page is available on the website to feature these items.
The Dream Vacation Raffle, a popular annual event continues in 2021. Raffle tickets are priced at $100 each, or four for $300, eight for $500, or 20 for $1,000. The Raffle is restricted to 2,500 entrants. The winner may choose from four trips (Lake Louise, Canada; Major European City; Mykonos, Greece; Broadway, New York) or select a $5,000 cash prize. All trips are open and available through December 2023. One winner will be selected in a public drawing on February 14, 2021 at noon on the portal of CFFNM’s offices (3005 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505). Winner will be notified by phone and/or e-mail, and need NOT be present to win. For more details, or to purchase Raffle tickets, please visit the Dream Vacation Raffle page on the website. Raffle ticket sales end February 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (MST).
The Virtual Gala program will air on Thursday, February 11, 2021 from 6 – 6:45pm (MST). It will be accessed through the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico website (www.cffnm.org). The multi-part program will include:
- A mission video including patient and provider stories,
- Sponsored tribute and memorial videos,
- A paddle-raiser led by Richard Lampert, Owner of Zaplin Lampert Gallery on Canyon Road, who will once again serve as Master of Ceremonies,
- Celebrity tributes offered by Ali MacGraw, Academy Award-nominated Actress, Shirley MacLaine, Academy Award-winning Actress and Noted Author, and Bette Ridgeway, Leonardo da Vinci Prize-winning Artist and Cancer Survivor.
- Jazz Pianist Bert Dalton, Music Director of the National Dance Institute of New Mexico and Leader of the Bert Dalton Trio; Susan Graham, Internationally-acclaimed Mezzo-soprano; Debra Ayers, Piano and Co-Founder of Montage Music Society; America’s Got Talent’s Branden James, Tenor and Duo Partner James Clark, Cello; Jessica Rivera, Grammy-Award®-winning Soprano and Cancer Survivor; and Mark Carver, Piano offer exclusive performances created especially for Cancer Foundation for New Mexico patrons.
While we can’t gather together this winter, we’ve added festive elements to enliven the gala evening for CFFNM patrons:
Open Kitchen’s “Heart Healthy Feast Menu”
Hue-Chan Karels of Santa Fe’s Open Kitchen has created a special “Heart Healthy Feast” menu for Sweetheart Auction attendees to enjoy. The delectable four-course meal may be ordered directly on Open Kitchen’s website. For more information, contact Open Kitchen by phone 202-285-9840, or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Order deadline: Friday, February 5, 2021.
The cost per person is $65 (plus delivery) and 20% of the proceeds will be contributed to the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico. With selections to cater to everyone’s palate and dietary restrictions, ordering dinner from Open Kitchen will top off this special 16th Annual Sweetheart Auction.
16th Annual Sweetheart Auction Signature Cocktail
A rose-colored signature cocktail has been created by CFFNM patron and avocational mixologist, Steven Ovitsky, to cheer the participants in the Sweetheart Auction:
2 ounces Vodka
1/2 ounce Cointreau or Triple Sec
1/2 ounce Lemon Juice
1.5 ounce Chambord
Add ingredients to a shaker.
Fill with ice, shake vigorously, and strain into a glass
The Cancer Foundation for New Mexico expresses its deep gratitude to its Co-Presenting Sponsors: CHRISTUS St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, New Mexico Cancer Care Associates, X-Ray Associates of New Mexico, and The Albuquerque Santa Fe Toyota Dealers Association. We also express our appreciation to Enterprise Bank & Trust for sponsoring the Tribute and Memorial Honor Wall providing a platform for members of the community to pay honor to caregivers and patients in cancer treatment, or remember loved ones who have passed on. These major sponsors lead the way for the more than 50 business and individual sponsors of the 16th Annual Sweetheart Auction. A full list of sponsors may be found on the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico’s website. Additionally, CFFNM thanks Hutton Broadcasting, Santa Fe Chamber of Commerce, Santa Fe New Mexican, and KNCE True Taos Radio for helping to spread the word through media support.
The 16th Annual Sweetheart Auction Steering Committee of thirteen members representing the CFFNM Board of Directors, Staff, and Community was chaired by Board Secretary, Larri Short.
About the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico:
Founded in 2003, the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which has as its mission “to help save lives by providing needed support to enable every northern New Mexican with cancer to access treatment in Santa Fe.” No patient who qualifies financially for our assistance has ever been turned away.
The Cancer Foundation for New Mexico is proud to report that 85% of every dollar spent is dedicated to patient services. In the past year, the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico accomplished the following with 2020 Sweetheart Auction Revenue:
- Supported 28,841 patient visits*
- Reimbursed 473,323 transportation miles
- Provided 727 lodging nights
- Supplied 1,372 grocery cards to enable patients to eat nutritionally while they are undergoing treatment
- To all cancer patients, regardless of financial need, CFFNM offered support groups and volunteer hospitality during treatment
*Please note: Due to COVID-19 protocols, telehealth visits have supplemented in-person visits for many patients
The 16th Annual Sweetheart Auction: A Week of Festivities!
Full Virtual Content Schedule – all available via computer at www.cffnm.org
February 6, 2021 beginning at 6am (MST)
- Exclusive VIP Advance Bidding and Buy-It-Now Option for those who register with a $100 VIP fee. (VIP registration is available beginning on January 21, 2021 at www.cffnm.org.)
- Dream Vacation Raffle ticket sales are ongoing on the website for everyone.
February 8, 2021 beginning at 6am (MST)
- VIP access continues.
- Open browsing and bidding for the General Public begins.
February 11, 2021 at 6 – 6:45pm (MST)
- Gala Video Program including patient and provider stories, celebrity appearances and performances, honorary and memorial tributes, a paddle-raiser hosted by Richard Lampert, and a chat room (open until 9pm).
February 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (MST)
- Silent Auction Closes.
- Dream Vacation Raffle ticket sales end.
February 14, 2021 at Noon (MST)
- Live drawing of the winning Dream Vacation Raffle ticket on the portal of the Cancer Foundation for New Mexico offices (3005 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505). Winner need NOT be present to claim his/her prize. Winner will be notified by e-mail and/or telephone.
Sampling of Auction Categories and Items:
- Extraordinary Encounters such as dinners with Academy-Award-winning Actress Shirley MacLaine and Academy Award-nominated Actress Ali MacGraw, an in-home “nightclub-style” performance by Broadway Leading Actor Jason Danieley, as well as Zoom Meetings with Authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, Hampton Sides, and Michael McGarrity.
- Fine Art items include paintings by Gustave Baumann, Carole LaRoche, Paul Pletka, and Bette Ridgeway, and sculptures by Kevin Box, Allan Houser, and Star York.
- A Zambian Photographic Safari, a long-weekend at Ted Turner’s 550,000 acre Vermejo Ranch, and a week in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico are some of the Travel Experiences
- Over 80 Jewelry pieces are available including: a “Duality Necklace” by Dennis Hogan, a Sterling Silver Bear by Rebecca Tobey, a three-piece ensemble by Rocki Gorman, a three-piece ensemble by Joyce Robins of Ventana Fine Art, a Sterling Silver Cuff by Lawrence Baca, recipient of the Spanish Colonial Art Society’s Master’s Award for Lifetime Achievement, and a pendant by Sculptor Estella Loretto originally from the Jemez Pueblo.
- Home and décor items range from hand-blown glass goblets by Elodie Holmes, to a black and white baby quilt hand-crafted by Albuquerque Fabric Artist Flora Gutierrez, and include both interior and landscaping design services.
- The Sporting category includes a fly fishing trip led by Jeremiah Spradling, swimming lessons by Senior Olympic Gold Medalist Ann Aceves, and tennis lessons by Jim Parker, Captain of last year’s champion Super Senior World Cup team.
- Dining includes a wide array of restaurant experiences in northern New Mexico from fine dining at Geronimo, Restaurant Martín, and The Compound to casual ethnic cuisine spots.
- Cultural opportunities have been provided by Santa’s Fe’s outstanding performing arts groups including Performance Santa Fe, the Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival, and the Santa Fe Symphony – all returning from furloughs.
- Wellness offerings include packages for people from Ten Thousand Waves and White Orchid Skin Care, as well as a Pampered Pooch Package for your pet highlighting Companions Grooming.
- Vineyards and distilleries are well-represented in the Alcohol category, including Santa Fe Spirits, Hafner Vineyards, Gruet Winery, and some select bottles donated by individual collectors.
- Auto features maintenance gift certificates for your vehicle.
- Clothing and accessories round-out the auction item groups with elegant Hermès scarves and designer evening jackets such as the one created by Smithsonian Craft2Wear Award-winning Designer Jane Herzenberg.
Contact: Janice L. Mayer
Phone (505) 955-7931, ext. 2